12/16/11

Meet Gabby the Elf!

Our family now has a new scout elf, Gabby.  If you haven't heard of Elf on the Shelf yet: a scout elf's job is to watch the boys and girls and report back to Santa (that is how Santa knows whether a child should be on the good or bad list).  

Our family received our elf from my aunt and uncle - and Finnley is loving it!  She is fascinated that this elf is watching her, and loves telling Gabby about all her good deeds!  

The moment I picked her out of the box Finnley had decided it was a girl elf (because she "had eyelashes").  So I decided she needed some accessories so that everyone knew she was a girl... 

At first we went to Target where I knew I had seen some skirts for the Elf on the Shelf dolls (apparently Finn is not the only one who decided eyelashes meant is was a girl elf).  I found the skirt, picked it up, looked at the price... $13!!!  Really?!  

So I decided to make my own - I had left over felt from making our Christmas Story Book anyway.


I want to add a few jingle bells and maybe a cute little trim to her skirt... but overall - I say she looks nice.  

I had also seen that many of these scout elves have adventures at night (you must move the elf every night to prove that it is alive and left the house overnight to see Santa).  

This was Gabby's first night-time adventure in the Mayfield house:




I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy our Elf on the Shelf as much as the kiddos!

No comments: